Monday, January 19, 2009

2 Questions- Cars and Baby Book

So the Swavely's are finally going to break down and buy their first car! For those who don't know we have a Jeep that was given to us by my Step-mom as a wedding present. The Jeep needs a new transmission in the near future and the car isn't worth the cost of the repair so bye-bye Jeep. I figured I would ask friends who check our blog regularly what they think of their cars and if they have any advice on buying a car and trading in a car. We are currently looking at Toyota Camry's. I told Zac that it might be good to just get a Van right now since it is a great time to buy a car but he said when baby #3 comes along we can get a Van. I figured get a better deal on a Van now instead of later when the Economy is better but I guess we won't be doing that. So, what do you think of buying a car from a dealership?, or from an ad in the paper?, what's a good loan for a car in terms of APR? what brands of car do you like and why? Give us your thoughts and help us make an informed decision :)

The next question I have is about the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". Has anyone read this book? I figure I might pick it up at the Library if I ever get a Library Card but I wanted to know what were some of the major principles taught in the book. Haley is a pretty good sleeper but if we ever put her in a big girl bed in the near future I fear of losing her nap time. The crib keeps her confined if you know what I mean. Also, Kori has me up at least 3 times a night to eat or at least every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I would like her in a better pattern of sleep at night but I'm not sure how to go about it. I am more at peace with Kori crying than I ever was with Haley but it just seems to back fire on me. She usually ends up spitting up whatever she just ate or if I feed her after I let her cry she spits up then too. Any tips from the book would be great but any advice would help also. Thanks Everyone!

8 comments:

Marika said...

Well, I obviously know NOTHING about the baby book, but cars are something I do know about (kind of).

I think if you like Camrys they're a good, solid car--my parents ONLY buy Toyotas, so my mom is on her 3rd Camry right now--because she likes to update, not because her cars die. AND, just so you know... my mom has driven 20k+ miles on one oil change (horrible, I know) but the car is still fine! The safety rating on those is also awesome, and they're comfortable for adults and kids in the back seat.

Good luck with buying! I'd go with a dealer just because of the perks--you can choose the color, type of engine, etc., plus you can sometimes get a warranty even if the car is used!

Let us know when you buy something :)

marika

Dave and Camille said...

I haven't read that baby book... so I'm no help there. I have LOVED The Baby Whisperper and would highly recommend it. It talks about infants and toddlers so it would pertain really well to you. Carly fed every 3 hours on the dot (seriously, you could set your watch by it) the first 3 1/2 weeks or so... but now she's stretching to 4 hours, now that I've started doing this dream feed thing (I basically feed her in her sleep right before I go to bed and it helps her go longer without actually getting up.) I don't know much (obviously!) but that book has been an amazing resource for me.

As for cars - I don't know if I'd ever buy anything except for a Toyota. I love my Corolla, but I would say the Camry would be great for you since it's roomier... especially if you have 2 car seats! I bought mine from the dealer, which was fine since I managed to still get it under blue book value... but you definitely have to work for it. The perk is you can usually get them to include it under warranty. Mine was a certified pre-owned used car. I would highly recommend not buying a NEW car from the dealer since they de-value the second you drive off of the lot and I hate to make bad investments. Buying used from a private seller is also great- we've had a lot of success with that and you can usually get the car cheaper. Honda's are also good cars. Ok, that was way too long, sorry! But I love shopping and buying cars!

Nicole said...

i'm emailing you. my comment ended up being a novel.

shaunie said...

I'll email you as well. Way too long for a comment!

Erin said...

Hey Kaylan,
I don't have any advice about the car situation except I think Toyotas are the way to go. However, as far as the baby spitting up/sleeping situation, my daughter was the spit up queen and every time I would lay her down to sleep she would spit up. It may sound odd, but the best thing was keeping her inclined. SO, she slept in her car seat until she was 3 months and started to squirm. Try it. It may be the trick. ERIN

Miss Crys said...

Kaylan--
Nights are hard with the newborns. I'm not a fan of letting them cry. They are beginning their lives learning to trust that their needs will be met--and feeding/comfort are their primary needs. All of my babies have fed every 2-3 hours for about 6 months--exhausting BUT the time is so fleeting as well. My advice--treasure the nights with her and you and silence--eventually she'll be sleeping more.

Ashley said...

I'm a Toyota fan as well. I vote for buying a car made by them. I think it is a pretty solid investment.

Lebanites said...

Until she doubles her weight she will most likely NEED the meals during the night. Tough but true. It won't last much longer--couple months. As for Haley keep her in the crib till YOU feel she is ready to be out. Perhaps once she is OK with naps. You will know.