Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Winter activities indoors

Living where you get the change of seasons is great! You really get to experience Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer. It's great but...in the dead of Winter you really start to get a little nuts with having to keep the kids cooped up inside all the time. So, I allowed Haley to ride her tricycle around the house.

The kids loved it! Kori gained more confidence with walking from holding onto the back of the tricycle while Haley peddled around the house. When they would hit the kitchen Haley picked up speed and Kori ran as fast as her chubby little legs could carry her. Then when she couldn't keep up any longer and Haley was about to slow down into a turn, Kori would drop to her knees and slide/drag along behind the trike! It was a sight to see! So funny!

My baby was sick for the better part of a month during the winter. One week it was teeth coming. Then next it was a cold. The next week it was more teeth coming in. Then she would still be having some lingering flu like symptoms. I took her to the Dr. on this particular day and after I told him how she'd been feeling he examined her thoroughly to find nothing wrong with her. He gave her antibiotics for a sinus infection b/c with her having a runny nose in between getting teeth he figured she probably had one but couldn't prove it. I let her lay down in the early evening but got her up around 7pm so she would be up for a while before bed. She hadn't been sleeping well for the past month either and I was desperate to get this kid sleeping through the night. Well, she felt miserable and was medicated. She didn't want to be up she just wanted to lay down and rest. She rested on Zac and this became a Kodak moment for us. She never just hangs out like this. Especially with Zac! She's a momma's girl. Well, about an hour after I got her up I took her and put her right back to bed. She was grateful to go back to sleep and she slept through the night for the first time in a long time.

It was at this particular Dr's appt. that I realized Kori is going to hate going to the Dr.'s. She screamed when the nurse entered the room to say "Hi." and ask what we were there for that day. Then she screamed through the weigh-in and measuring. Finally she calmed down while we were waiting for the Dr. to come in and when he started examining her she all but flipped out for whole time he looked at her. It was an absolute nightmare! Haley was great and still is great when we go to the Dr.'s. She only cried when she got shots and that's it! Kori will be my dramatic child when it comes to Dr.'s visits I guess. They all can't be cool and calm at the Dr.'s.

Haley wrote her name in order for the very first time! That was really exciting! She has yet to do it again on a more frequent basis but that's fine. She gets concerned about fitting it on the line the letters end up all over the place. As a former pre-school teacher I am of course not concerned and just enjoying teaching her at home for pre-school.

5 comments:

shaunie said...

Winter is hard with little kids. (Part of the reason I love CA!) Especially with curious toddlers, who don't get around in the snow so well. My girls are the same way with the doctor's office...as long as they know they're not getting shots there, it's fine. I have to do shots at the local health dept. now so going to the doctor isn't such a drama.

Jared and Kari said...

I'm so happy to see a post from you! I've missed you! ;) Even though it's steamy hot down here (and has been for the last couple of months), I do not envy all that snow. I thought the snow was bad in Utah. You are super mom to handle kids stuck in a house during a snowstorm! Love ya, babe!

Lii said...

Uncle Zac's awesome! :3 I'm sure your family (especially the kiddies) know how wonderful of a Dad they have!

Lebanites said...

YYYYEAAAA, you are back blogging. Although I see you all the time I love reading your posts.
Petra

Nicole said...

hooray to haley!!!! you are you kaylan? the twins wore your beautiful dresses for the first time this summer. they are definitely my favorite now!!!!!